Friday, September 24, 2010

The Musician,Chef, Nurse.

I'm not currently having an adventure in food per say right now. I suppose I am at Panera Bread mooching off their wifi, and just consumed some of their tomato soup(which I love, and can't wait to figure out how to make....but even better). I have eaten so much spicy, acidic food in the past two days(between the Thai, the Pizza, the Chipotle Chicken Sandwich and now this tomato soup) to give me eternal heartburn...doesn't help that I've been washing everything down with lemonade.
Psh. Oh well. It was worth it. Except for the pizza...I would've rather skipped out on that.

Anyway, I just felt like writing. I have 15 minutes before I have to leave and sit in that dungeon of a hospital for 12 hours. I suppose I really shouldn't be like that. I do enjoy my job, as much as I possibly can, and I really do gain satisfaction out of interacting with people, making their day just a little better(or I like to hope anyway). I was working up on the Psych Unit the other night and the charge nurse started talking to me. She said if the culinary thing doesn't work out, I should definitely consider nursing because she can tell I have the heart for it. Maybe I do have the heart for it now, but I know that 5,10,15 years down the road, I'm going to be getting farther and farther away from the patient just like almost every other nurse I've worked with does. It was the same for me with music. By the end of my senior year, I didn't enjoy playing anymore. The stress and competition completely took it out of me. It made me forget why I played. It made me think I played just to show off myself, and not the actual music.
Cooking is different though. I enjoy the rush(even if I don't admit it at the time), I like the competition, and I like the end result(generally speaking here....if everything turns out, I like the end product, on the table, and watching people "get off" so to speak at the taste of my food. Like Chef says, Sex and Money. That's what we're all about.)

I've had some unfortunate shit go down with the financial aid department. Apparently, I'm going to have to keep working four 12 hour shits a week plus my 3 days of class to stay ahead. I wish I could find a food service job that pays as well, then at least I'd be benefitting from the experience. Olive Garden is still hiring, and I've got my cover letter and resume' ready to go...so I might try that. It's at least a start.

Well, I better pack up and go here. Everyone have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment